Imagine a President with the following body of work while in office:
- Escalated and eventually ended a conflict with a ceasefire
- Established a groundbreaking nuclear non-proliferation treaty
- Opened a dialog and eventual normalized relations with a bitter enemy who for decades we had no contact
- Implemented unprecedented fiscal and monetary policies during global financial uncertainty
- Implemented sweeping environmental reforms
- Enacted massive anti-discrimination policies
- Cut defense spending
- Lowered corporate taxes
- Promoted worker safety
- Enacted legislation to promote family planning and contraceptives
- Championed universal health insurance
Sounds like President Obama, right? Actually it is former President Nixon, the last great American Progressive. Obviously Nixon lacked anything remotely close to emotional intelligence eventually leading to his downfall, but in 4+ years his legislative, foreign, and domestic accomplishments were impressive. For starters, he ended the Vietnam War, opened relations with China, signed the first anti-ballistic missile treaty, created the EPA and OSHA, passed the Clean Air Act, Equal Rights Amendment passed, signed Title IX and Title X, signed the Equal Employment Opportunity Act, and he presented the only balanced budget between 1961 – 1998.
Grew the economy, increased states’ powers, lowered taxes, and enacted the most sweeping reforms in the 2nd half of the 20th century. Now that’s Progressive. Today, he would be a centrist. That shows you how far the Republican Party has moved to the right.