President Obama’s State of the Union address was a balanced speech that may have lacked inspiration but did cover many of the Diggapedia recommended talking points from Monday. Of equal importance, the speech did not offer any glaring opportunities for the Republicans and others on the right to aggressively attack the President. While I prefer the aggressive Social Distortion type of address, the President’s Jimmy Eat World version set the appropriate tone.
So the plusses:
1) Reminded us of the benefits of the Affordable Care Act. Already polling indicates the public does not want repeal.
2) Acknowledged DADT repeal. An American achievement, not just a gay and lesbian achievement
3) Fired the first salvo in the deficit reduction battle with his announced spending freeze on top of SecDef Gates’ $78Billion defense cuts.
4) Highlighted success stories in the heartland
5) Talked about leaning out waste in government agencies…great salmon story
6) Success in the START Treaty and Korean free trade agreement
7) Talk about lowering tax rates, while removing subsidies for the evil emoire that is the oil industry.
8) Announced openness to nuclear, coal, and gas along with wind, and solar development.
Liberals will not be happy because he came across as too centrist and did not mention gun control. Conservatives will not be happy because, well their conservatives.
At the end of the day, it’s just a speech and will soon be forgotten. What will be lasting will be good economic news, increasing consumer confidence, solid corporate earnings, and winning the perception public relations battles with the right and its pundits.