1. In light of the recent disclosure of the confidential information, I need to come clean about this column. I almost named this blog DiggiLeaks, but figured it was too close to DiggiCraps.
2. Mixed emotions about the Chargers-Colts game Sunday night. I love seeing Marbles Manning and the Dolts struggle, but the Chargers and Rivers scare the crap out of me. On the plus side, I sleep better knowing they are coached by Norv Turner aka Marty.Schottenheimer 2.0.
3. The not so shocking revelation in the WikiLeaks memos was the unanimous feelings from Arab states hoping that the US and/or Israel would bomb Iran. Tell you what King Abdullah et al, give us your oil, find a home for the Palestinians, and allow human rights in your kingdoms, and we’ll consider it. Heck we might even throw in a mosque in NYC.
4. I have always cringed every time an athlete thanks God or Jesus after a victory, winning score, or record breaking performance. Which is why I had chuckle at Buffalo’s Steve Johnson’s Tweet after he dropped five passes including a potential game winner during Buffalo’s OT loss to Pittsburgh: "I praise you 24/7!!! And this how you do me!!! You expect me to learn from this???How??? I'll never forget this!! Ever!! Thx Tho." And one other thing God, how could you let me split 4’s at the blackjack table?
5. According to the the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, the $700 Billion Troubled Asset Relief Program or TARP will cost taxpayers a mere $25 billion, which is half of the Obama administration’s September estimate. Heck, let the Bush Tax cuts expire for the rich and the remaining $25Billion is paid for in under 6 months.
6. Speaking of which, I get tired of hearing Republicans go on about how letting taxes rise for the rich will choke off the economy and hurt employment because the government will be raising taxes on small business owners. Really? You mean those law firm partners and hedge fund managers who are considered ‘small businesses’ for tax purposes?
7. Fiji Bottled Water says it is closing down its operation on the South Pacific Island claiming the military-led Fijian government was extorting massive tax increases from the California-based company. I’m thinking Ramallah, Mexico City, and Mogadishu are not in the running to become the new home for Fiji. How about a Freaky Friday plot where we send Fiji Water to Cuba and our Gitmo detainees to Fiji?
8. For Democratic lawmakers: did you know the earliest known reference to the term lame duck goes back to the 1760’s and was coined by a stockbroker on the London Stock Exchange? For Republican lawmakers Kyl, McCain, Boehner, and Cantor: the origin of the term dickhead is still unclear.
9. How low can we go? A 37-year old Milwaukee woman is facing potential charges for pushing a 100 year old Walmart greeter Sunday. Hey Walmart, do you think it was a good idea to have 100 year old Lois Speelman facing down the crazed hoard of shoppers on that particular weekend? “You Americans have some crazy customs and are a fair bit reckless, “said the mayor of Pamplona, Spain.
10. President Obama’s call for a federal wage freeze has pissed off the right and the left. Does that mean it’s a good idea? When looking at deficit reduction as a whole, it makes very little difference. However, it establishes the President as the aggressor in this MMA fight with the GOP and Congress and he can set the dialog regarding the key deficit reduction issues: Bush tax cuts, entitlements, Defense, and other taxes.