1) As noted by James Graff, Executive Editor of The Week, if you think political attacks have become nastier lately, not so fast. John Adams was called “a hideous hermaphroditical character” by Thomas Jefferson supporters. In response Team Adams called Jefferson “the son of a half-breed Indian squaw sired by a Virginia mulatto father.” Imagine those barbs in today’s 24-hour news cycle.
2) The recent expose in the New York Times depicting the cheap labor and poor working conditions of 200,000 employees at the Foxconn contract manufacturing plant in China has raised some ire at Apple as this is where the iPhone is manufactured. Calls for Apple boycotts are starting to spring up. But hold on, if you want to boycott working conditions in Chinese factories, you will need to boycott appliances, computers, cameras, furniture, toys, etc. Oh, never mind.
3) There is a movement in Kansas to make the cairn terrier, the breed of Dorothy’s dog from the Wizard of Oz, the official dog of the state of Kansas. In related news the GOP is considering making the scarecrow the official symbol of the party.
4) Texas Governor Rick Perry’s approval rating at home is down to 40%. In contrast, President Obama’s approval rating in Texas is 43%.
5) All due respect, not much, to the Catholic Church you have no moral or other high ground to take in this argument with the White house on contraception. You forfeited those rights when you turned a blind eye on sexual abuse. Nonetheless, I support the White House’s position in this matter on the grounds that allowing a religious organization to deny ANY legal services opens the door to bigotry and a public health crisis.
6) Speaking of which, did you know which country has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy? That would be the U.S. Why? Simply ignorance and lack of birth control. Teenagers have no idea what it takes to become or prevent pregnancy. There’s your American exceptionalism.
7) Before we hang the Mission Accomplished banner and declare victory for Detroit, let’s not forget that there is still $133Billion in outstanding TARP payments , of which GM and Ally (the old GMAC) remain significant contributors to that hit to the taxpayer.
8) So Obama and the Democrats are big tax guys? In 1983 tax revenues were 17.5% of GDP while in 2010 they were only 14.9% of GDP. So I agree we need to get tax reform in place and start collecting more revenue.
9) Forget the SI curse. We have the Gisele Curse. Patriots and Brady were 3-0 in Super Bowls BG (Before Gisele) and 0-2 AG. Didn’t help that she called out her hubbies teammates.
10) My favorite Super Bowl ad was the one with the bigoted Oxycontin drug addict picking his nose in the luxury box. What, that wasn’t an ad? That was Rush Limbaugh? Nice.